Michael Klinger opts out of BBL after wife diagnosed with cancer

Klinger has taken a indefinite break from cricket.

Michael Klinger | Getty

Australian cricketer Michael Klinger, who was all set to feature in this year’s Big Bash League (BBL) for the Perth Scorchers franchise, has disclosed a shocking news to the cricketing fraternity on Wednesday (December 20).

In a letter released by the Scorchers on behalf of the veteran batsman, Klinger said he may take an indefinite break from cricket as his wife Cindy had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

“Last week, my wife Cindy had a routine scan on her back, which had been causing her pain and no physiotherapy or anti-inflammatory tablets seemed to help. The result of that scan completely shocked and devastated us,” Klinger wrote in a moving letter shared by Perth Scorchers on their official website.

“Doctors identified three spots on her vertebrae that required further investigation – within hours, we were told she had cancer,” the Melbourne-based cricketer added.

The 37-year old further revealed that he faced one of the toughest moments of his life while informing his kids about their mother’s condition. The couple have three children, aged 7, 5 and 1.

“We had to tell Bailey (7) and Summer (5) of the fight their mother now faces, which is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone. In fact, along with delivering a eulogy at my mother’s funeral, it was the hardest and most terrible thing I’ve had to do in my life,” wrote Klinger.

Expressing the grief, some of the Australian cricketers including the legendary Adam Gilchrist, Mitchell Johnson and Michael Clarke took to Twitter and extend their support to the Victoria-born cricketer.

 


By Salman Anjum - 20 Dec, 2017

    Share Via