Veteran Australian paceman Peter Siddle has suggested Steve Smith and David Warner move on from the ball-tampering scandal, saying whatever they have done in South Africa last year has been done and dusted, and now the time has come to just focus on the job at the hand.
The two have been named in Australia’s squad for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 and Siddle want to see their batting powerhouses at the old surge, saying they weren’t the first people to ball-tamper and probably not going to be the last, so, they should move on from the ball-tampering scandal.
The fast-bowler further added that he wants to see them getting back for Australia and perform the way people know they can on the field during the World Cup 2019 while saying English spectators whatever serve them during the ICC event, it could not affect the two.
Siddle told The Guardian on Tuesday, 23rd April, “What they’ve done is done and dusted. Half the time people keep worrying about it because people keep talking about it. I think there’s not much to be talked about. They weren’t the first people to ball tamper and, I hate to say it, they’re probably not going to be the last. So I don’t think we should keep going on about it. I’m just looking forward to them getting back on the park for Australia and performing the way we know they can.”
Meanwhile, Siddle is also confident that Warner and Smith will receive a warm welcome by the national team when they return to the national folds during 2019 World Cup practice matches next month.
He added, “I think it’s not going to take them long to move back into the fold once they get back around the boys and get those competitive juices flowing. They’ll be back to their best in not long at all.”
However, the 34-year-old isn’t sure whether English public will give such kind of welcome to the duo but has warned excessive abuse would backfire during the World Cup 2019, saying the world-class batters are able to handle whatever is thrown at them, but it would not good for the hosts.
Siddle explained, “It doesn’t matter what you’ve done or who you are, you cop a lot of stick anyway [as an Australia player in England]. They’re fine with it and I think as everyone probably knows they’ve copped enough stick anyway in the last year, so they’ll be able to handle whatever is thrown at them. It’s probably going to come back and bite the spectators on the bum more so than not by pumping them up because the boys have got a point to prove and I’m sure they’ll do that with their bats.”
Having abundant experience of English conditions with Essex side, Siddle is confident of getting node for the upcoming Ashes 2019 to be played in England in August despite having a surfeit of fast bowlers, likes of Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazelwood and Pat Cummins in the Australian line-up.
He signed off by saying, “The main goal is to be part of that Ashes series. I’m always in communication with JL [coach Justin Langer] and the selectors. I had a chat with the chairman, Trevor Hohns, the other day. He said just keep it up because all your form in county cricket will come into play. They know what I can do in English conditions, it’s about me now staying fit and putting in good performances for Essex.”
(With The Guardian Inputs)