The intense bidding war on some of the world’s cricket renowned names took the cricketing fraternity by storm in the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL) auction in Mumbai on Monday (February 13).
As many as 409 players are going under the hammer as five teams - Delhi Capitals, Gujarat Giants, Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore and UP Warriorz - look to establish their squad ahead of the first edition.
The likes of Smriti Mandhana (3.40 Crore), Ashleigh Gardner (3.20 Crore), Harmanpreet Kaur (1.80 Crore), and Ellyse Perry (1.70 Crore) grabbed the headlines in the first set of marquee players with their whopping price tags.
In the second set, seven more marquee players were up for grabs and the likes of Deepti Sharma, Natalie Sciver and Renuka Singh caught everyone’s attention with their hefty bids.
Here’s how the players fared in the second set:
1. Deepti Sharma (Base Price INR 50 Lakh) – Sold to UP Warriorz for INR 2.60 Crore
2. Renuka Singh (Base Price INR 50 Lakh) – Sold to Royal Challengers Bangalore for INR 1.50 Crore
3. Natalie Sciver (Base Price INR 50 Lakh) – Sold to Mumbai Indians for INR 3.20 Crore
4. Tahlia McGrath (Base Price INR 40 Lakh) – Sold to UP Warriorz for INR 1.40 Crore
5. Beth Mooney (Base Price INR 40 Lakh) – Sold to Gujarat Giants for INR 2 Crore
6. Shabnim Ismail (Base Price INR 40 Lakh) – Sold to UP Warriorz for INR 1 Crore
7. Amelia Kerr (Base Price INR 40 Lakh) – Sold Mumbai Indians for INR 1 Crore