Former Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar on Saturday (January 21) confirmed his decision to distance himself from his upcoming biopic ‘The Rawalpindi Express.’
Taking to Twitter, Akhtar said that the ‘failure to resolve disagreements amicably and constant contractual violations” had led him to take this tough call.
“Very sadly, I would like to inform all of you that after careful consideration of months, I have decided to dissociate myself from the film Rawalpindi Express & its makers by terminating the agreement through my management and legal team. Definitely, it was a dream project and I tried a lot to prevent and stay in the boat but unfortunately, things were not going well,” Shoaib said in a note posted on his Twitter account.
“Failure to resolve disagreements amicably and constant contractual violations finally resulted in us cutting ties with them. Therefore I have left the project after complying with all legal protocols of revoking the rights to the story of my life. Severe legal action will be taken if the makers continue to make biography film and use my name and life story events in any way” he added.
Shoaib Akhtar, who has the world’s fastest delivery to his name by clocking 161.3 km/h against England during the 2003 World Cup, was capable of scaring the best batters for his time with pace.
In a career spanning over 163 ODIs, Akhtar claimed 247 wickets at an impressive average of 24.97. He was lethal with the red ball too as he picked up 178 wickets at 25.69 from 46 Tests, including 12 five-wicket hauls.
Fondly known as the Rawalpindi Express, Shoaib had shared a motion poster of the film in July last year.
“Beginning of this beautiful journey. Announcing the launch of my story, my life, my Biopic, “RAWALPINDI EXPRESS – Running against the odds” You’re in for a ride you’ve never taken before. First foreign film about a Pakistani Sportsman. Controversially yours, Shoaib Akhtar” – Akhtar had tweeted back then.