Cricket South Africa on Monday (March 23) announced the national contract list for the 2020-21 season, with pacer Beuran Hendricks given his first national contract and fast bowler Anrich Nortje, all-rounder Dwaine Pretorius and batsman Rassie van der Dussen rewarded via contract upgrades.
"The upgrade system will again be in place this year. Those players performing and selected for the Proteas during the 2020/21 season and who are not contracted can qualify for a National Contract upgrade," CSA said in an official statement.
However, the most noticeable was the absence of the great Dale Steyn, who retired from Test cricket last year, and has since been limited to just T20Is for the Proteas. Steyn has also been turning up in leagues across the globe, hoping to be part of South Africa's T20 World Cup campaign later in the year in Australia at the age of 36.
In the coming year, either side of the showpiece event down under, South Africa is due to host Sri Lanka, Australia and travel to face West Indies and Pakistan for World Test Championship fixtures, apart from its limited-overs assignments.
CSA's contracted men's players: Temba Bavuma, Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Beuran Hendricks, Reeza Hendricks, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen.
Meanwhile, the board also announced the contract list for the women's team for the coming year.
CSA's contracted women's players: Trisha Chetty, Nadine de Klerk, Mignon du Preez, Shabnim Ismail, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Lizelle Lee, Sune Luus, Tumi Sekhukhune, Chloe Tryon, Dane van Niekerk, Laura Wolvaardt.
"We have contracted 16 men's players and 14 women's players which we feel is the appropriate number to maintain our national squads across the various formats. This enables us to contract both our Test players as well as those who are limited-overs specialists," CSA Acting Chief Executive, Dr. Jacques Faul said.
"We have decided to keep the 17th men's contract open for the moment and players can qualify for it through performance," he added.
(Inputs from ANI)