MS Dhoni has no immediate plans to call it quits from international cricket, confirmed his longtime friend and business partner Arun Pandey on Friday (July 19).
Speculation over Dhoni's future has been doing the rounds ever since India crashed out of the World Cup following a narrow 18-run defeat to New Zealand, where the veteran wicket-keeper batsman scored a half-century but failed to take the team past the line as he got run out due to a brilliant throw by Martin Guptill.
"He has no immediate plans to retire. The constant speculation over the future of a great player like him is unfortunate," Pandey told PTI.
Pandey's comments come ahead of the Indian team's selection on Sunday for the upcoming tour of West Indies, where the Virat Kohli led team will take on the hosts in 2 Tests, 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is.
Kohli had earlier told the media that Dhoni has not spoken to him or the team about his future plans. The Indian captain has often defended his former captain even though calls for him to retire or be dropped continue to get stronger with each series.
38-year old Dhoni's intent to go after the big shots was questioned by the experts during the World Cup, where he often was happy to play the anchor role. With the T20 World Cup set to be played in Australia next year, it now remains to be seen whether the legendary Indian cricketer will continue till then for another shot at glory.
Dhoni is also expected to play at least one more season as captain of his IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings.