Former Australia vice-captain David Warner is all set to disclose the top secret concerning the ball-tampering scandal that shook the cricketing fraternity last month.
Warner, who was found to be the instigator in the entire saga, was handed a 12-month ban by Cricket Australia (CA) last week. Besides Warner, CA had imposed severe punishments on former Australia skipper Steve Smith and rookie opener Cameron Bancroft as well. While Smith was banned for one-year, Bancroft was barred from international cricket for a period of 9-month.
Following his return to South Africa, Warner broke down during the press conference in Sydney on Saturday (March 31) while stating that he might never get a chance to represent Australia again. The southpaw repeatedly said he is taking full responsibility for his part in the disgraceful ball-tampering controversy that left the cricketing fraternity stunned last week.
"There's a tiny ray of hope that I may one day be given the privilege of playing for my country again but I'm resigned to the fact that it may never happen. I want you (Cricket Australia) to know that I fully support your review into the culture of the Australian cricket team," Warner had said while addressing the media.
"To South African players, administration and fans, I apologise unreservedly for my part in this and I am sorry. I brought the game into disrepute on your soil. To all Australians, I can honestly say I have only ever wanted to bring glory to my country by playing cricket. In striving to do so, I have made a decision which has had an opposite effect and it's one that I'll regret for as long as I'll live," he added.
Nonetheless, Warner did not retort at every question thrown him at the press conference. Later on, the swashbuckling opener wrote on his official Twitter page that “I know there are unanswered questions and lots of them. I completely understand. In time i will do my best to answer them all. But there is a formal CA process to follow.”
1/3 I know there are unanswered questions and lots of them. I completely understand. In time i will do my best to answer them all. But there is a formal CA process to follow.— David Warner (@davidwarner31) March 31, 2018
As per the reports in India Today, Warner's camp is now lining up for a tell-all interview with an Australian broadcaster which would be worth one million dollar.
It is worth mentioning here that cameras had caught Bancroft using a foreign object to work on the ball during the Cape Town Test against South Africa. Video aired by the official broadcaster had shown Bancroft using a small, yellow object hidden in his palm, as he rubbed the ball with his palm and then onto his trousers. He was then seen transferring something from that palm into his right pocket. The object was later verified as “sandpaper” during Cricket Australia’s investigation.
In a shocking press conference after the day's play at Newlands, Smith had admitted that the entire ball-tampering saga was a deliberate plan from the “leadership group” of the side. Moreover, he had apologized and tried to convince everyone that this was the first time it had happened under his captaincy.
While Smith and Bancroft have decided to not appeal against the sanctions imposed on them, it is still unknown whether Warner will challenge the ban or accept it like the other two.