Netherlands star batsman –Stephan Myburgh, who is also an occasional right-arm off-break bowler, has been ruled out of the upcoming 2018 ICC World Cup Qualifiers, playing between 4 – 25 March 2018 in Zimbabwe, due to an ankle injury, which he sustained during warm-up games in Pretoria.
Myburgh’s injury might shatter Netherlands' hopes of securing a place in the 2019 World Cup for which the top ranked 8 teams have already secured their place in the mega ICC tournament.
As per Cricbuzz, Head Coach Ryan Campbell said of Stephan, “It's not ideal that's for sure, losing someone of Stef's talent and experience is never great and I'm sure we will miss him. In saying that, we keep saying that the depth of our squad has improved and this will provide not only Bas a great opportunity but also the likes of Max O'Dowd the chance to step up and grab their chance at the top of the order.”
While the remaining two slots are up for grabs, West Indies, Afghanistan, Ireland, Hong-Kong, Nepal, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, UAE and hosts Zimbabwe will be competing against each other in 34 matches to be played next month in Zimbabwe.
The Netherlands is currently playing a series of warm-up games against Ireland, Hong Kong, and Scotland in Pretoria as part of their preparation for the World Cup Qualifiers. Now, the left-handed opener will fly back for surgery from Pretoria, while Netherlands physio Evan Speechly said Myburgh is likely to be out of action for at least four to six weeks.
It is learned that Bas de Leede –Son of former Netherlands captain Tim de Leede, has been named as the replacement for Stephan for WC Qualifiers. The 18-year-old Leede, who had been training for the last two months at the Gary Kirsten Cricket Academy in Cape Town, will join the national squad ahead of their final practice match against Scotland on Thursday before the team departs for Harare.