England opener Alex Hales will no longer play County Championship cricket for Nottinghamshire as the 29-year-old signed a new deal as per which he will only participate in limited-overs cricket until the end of the 2019 season.
Hales becomes the second England player to move away from red ball cricket, after the leg-spinner Adil Rashid made the same choice last week for Yorkshire.
"For the next 18 months I’m excited to focus entirely on limited overs cricket and want to be part of a Notts Outlaws team that retains the white ball double," Hales said in a statement according to cricket.com.au.
"It was a fantastic year for the club last year, and I believe we can have more success in the future with the players we have at our disposal. I'm also hoping to be part of a World Cup-winning squad with England.
"The decision to focus on my white-ball game wasn't taken lightly or on the spur of the moment, it's one I've thought long and hard about. It's also one I've discussed at length with the Notts management. I'd like to thank them for their continued support," he further added.
Hales, who has played 58 ODIs and 52 T20Is for England, hasn’t played Test cricket for England since August 2016. The right-hander is currently in New Zealand with England's ODI team which will play 5 ODIs against the Kiwis from February 25.
After securing the deal with Hales, Notts’ director of cricket Mick Newell said the swashbuckling opener remains fully committed to the club in 50 and 20 over cricket.
"We respect Alex's decision. He's an outstanding white-ball player. He's entitled to make himself available for whatever format he wants to play," Newell quoted as saying by cricket.com.au.
Hales was part of the Notts side that dominated last year’s white-ball cricket, clinching both the One-Day Cup and the T20 Blast.
"We look forward to him helping us win more trophies in that format of the game. He was integral to our success in 50- and 20-over cricket last summer," Newell concluded.