Prithvi Shaw is expected to return to Mumbai's squad for the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy after serving his suspension for a doping violation.
Shaw was handed backdated eight-month suspension by the BCCI on July 30. The youngster had inadvertently consumed a banned substance terbutaline without availing Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) certificate.
Ahead of the much-awaited comeback, Shaw, who turned 20 years old on November 9, shared a little clip on Twitter in which he was practicing at the nets.
“I turn 20 today. I assure it will be Prithvi Shaw 2.0 going forward. Thank u for all the good wishes & support. Will be back in action soon,” Prithvi captioned the video.
Prithvi Shaw began his Test career with a scintillating century against the West Indies at Rajkot last year. The Mumbaikar lived a dream debut Test series against the West Indies as he aggregated 237 runs at an average of 118.50 across three innings and earned ‘Man of the Series’ award.
Subsequently, he embarked into the Australia tour with a lot of expectations. However, the U-19 World Cup winning skipper suffered a huge setback as he got ruled out of the Test series Down Under due to an ankle injury.
Meanwhile, Mumbai’s chief selector Milind Rege has said that Shaw will definitely be considered for selection once his suspension ends on November 15.
“He will be free to play from [November] 16, so of course he will be considered for selection. I can’t make any commitment to whether he will be back, but we will certainly discuss his selection,” Rege told ESPNcricinfo on Thursday (November 7).
“Shaw’s class is there, you see. He is a dynamic young batsman. So that will weigh heavily in his favour because he has scored runs for Mumbai in the last one-and-a-half years and he also did well in Test cricket till he went to Australia. There has been a gap. So he will again have to start once again. He will have to be fit again, There is nobody who can take his place for granted because there are others also,” he added.