Denying media reports on Wednesday (May 27) that the T20 World Cup would be shifted to a different year in the existing FTP cycle, an ICC spokesperson said the governing body is continuing its preparations for the showpiece event to be held on time from October 18 to November 15.
The ICC board is all set for an important meeting on Thursday (May 28), where discussions will be held on a number of issues related to the game amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which has put the T20 World Cup in doubt.
However, as the spokesperson told Reuters, one can expect the wait & watch policy to be continued with, as the situation evolves with time.
"The ICC has not taken a decision to postpone the T20 World Cup and preparations are ongoing for the event in Australia this year as per plan," the spokesperson said.
"This is on the agenda for the ICC Board meeting tomorrow and a decision will be taken in due course."
In wake of the contagious nature of the virus, various countries have opted for indefinite lockdowns and all sporting activities have been put on hold.
In Australia, where the T20 World Cup is scheduled, there is a six-month shutdown in place at the moment, which would presumably be revoked only when the world overcomes the deadly outbreak.
The COVID-19 originated in December last year in the Chinese city of Wuhan and has since resulted in an unprecedented health crisis.
(Inputs from Reuters)