David Warner broke down during the press conference in Sydney on Saturday (March 31), stating that he might never get a chance to represent Australia again. The southpaw repeatedly said he is taking full responsibility for his part in the disgraceful ball-tampering controversy that left the cricketing fraternity stunned last week.
Warner has been suspended by Cricket Australia (CA) for a period of 12 months after he was found to be the instigator of the ball-tampering scandal.
"I can honestly say I have only wanted to bring glory to my country through playing cricket. In striving to do so I have made the decision which has had the opposite effect and it's one that I will regret for as long as I live," Warner told a media conference.
The 31-year-old also apologised to both teams, their fans, Cricket Australia and his family, including his wife Candice who was also crying as she watched from the media seats.
But when asked for further details of the plot, such as whether it was his idea, who else was aware and whether it had happened before, he avoided the question.
"I am here today to accept my responsibility for my part and my involvement for what happened in Cape Town. It's inexcusable, I am deeply sorry. I will do everything I can to earn back the respect of the Australian public," Warner asserted.
Watch LIVE: David Warner speaks to the media in Sydney https://t.co/Psybip9QLZ— cricket.com.au (@CricketAus) March 31, 2018
Warner, who has played 74 Test since his debut in 2011, said he would be seeking ways to make character changes.
"I suppose there is a tiny ray of hope that I may one day be given the privilege of playing for my country again, but I am resigned to the fact that may never happen," he said.
"But in the coming weeks and months I am going to look at what has happened and who I am as a man.
"To be honest, I am not sure right now how I will do this, I will seek out advice and expertise to make serious changes. I failed in my responsibilities as vice-captain of the Australian cricket team," the former Aussie vice-captain added.
Besides Warner, Cricket Australia on Wednesday (March 28) announced severe punishments on former skipper Steve Smith and rookie opener Cameron Bancroft for their involvement in this shameful act. CA banned Smith for 12 months while Bancroft was handed a 9-month suspension from international cricket.
In its statement, Cricket Australia had also mentioned that the convicted trio will have to complete 100 hours of community service before being considered for future selection. While Smith and Bancroft will have to wait two years before they are considered for leadership roles, Warner will never again be considered for captaincy as he was found to be the instigator of the plan.
(With AFP Inputs)