Youngster Prithvi Shaw who sustained a shoulder injury during a Ranji Trophy game last week has now recovered fully and will be joining India A squad in New Zealand in the next 48 hours.
This time, Shaw’s rehabilitation program was handled by the National Cricket Academy (NCA) which has cleared his return to competitive cricket. A senior BCCI source told PTI on Wednesday (15 January) that the right-hand batsman is fully fit and will be leaving for New Zealand.
“Prithvi Shaw will leave for New Zealand either on Thursday or the latest by Friday. He has been declared fully fit,” the source said.
With the 20-year-old returning to competitive cricket, it will give Indian selectors an opportunity to consider Shaw for the upcoming two Tests against New Zealand.
While Shaw was serving the doping ban, Shubhman Gill was considered as the reserve opener. But with the Mumbai batsman back in the fold, both him and Gill will be competing for the reserve opener slot in the Indian Test team revealed a source privy to selection matters.
“Shubman became the reserve opener because Prithvi was serving a doping ban. He was ahead of Shubman if we go by pecking order. He was not out of the team because of poor form but due to injuries and some off-field reasons. Now he along with Shubman will be fighting for the reserve opener’s slot,” he said.
Hence, it will be interesting to see how the two young batsmen perform with a slot in the international team up for grabs.
(With PTI inputs)