Tainted Australian cricketers David Warner and Cameron Bancroft are set to play in a limited-overs tournament, as they have signed up by Northern Territory for Strike League to be played in July 2018.
Following the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa both batsman, along with Steve Smith, lost the central contract with Cricket Australia and were banned from all forms of the game for 12 months (Bancroft for 9 months), now they have only opportunity to play club cricket.
Currently, the huge opportunity fell down on their way as Warner will play two one-day matches on July 21-22, while Bancroft would be available for the whole tournament in a bid to recover from the ball-tampering shock that rocked the Australian cricket.
As per reports in Reuters, NT Cricket chief executive Joel Morrison told Australian Associated Press, “There’s no payment to any players in our competition. These two players are coming up here, looking after their own flights and accommodation. We don’t lose sight of the fact that they’re up here because of the events in Cape Town.”
He signed off by saying, “They made a big error in judgment and ultimately paid the price. They’ve also demonstrated a willingness to learn from their mistakes and move forward. We’re more than happy to support them on that journey. It’s great they can start it now, as opposed to waiting for summer.”
Meanwhile, Warner expressed his delight over playing in the Strike League. He said in a statement, “I’m really looking forward to playing in the Strike League in July. I heard so much about the competition while I was in Darwin earlier this month that I’m keen to be part of it.”
On the other hand, Bancroft is confirmed that he will also play with his Western Australian club side Willetton later in the year.