Cricket Ireland chief executive Warren Deutrom has confirmed on Wednesday (16 May) that they haven’t received any official invitation from Pakistan to visit the terrorism-affect country.
However, Deutrom also said that Ireland are open to touring Pakistan whenever invitation comes but only after “all the stars align”. Previously, Ireland was scheduled to tour Pakistan in 2014, but they canceled the trip after militants attacked Karachi airport.
Following the terrorists attack the Sri Lankan bus in 2009, the leading cricket playing nations avoided to tour Pakistan, and they have shifted their base to the United Arab Emirates unofficially.
However, Pakistan got some success later in winning the trust of some cricket playing nations, as Zimbabwe became the first major international team to tour Pakistan in 2015, and the West Indies and Sri Lanka, World XI have played in Pakistan as well.
Recently, Ireland hosted Pakistan for their maiden Test at Malahide Cricket Club, Dublin which the touring side won by five-wickets on Tuesday. It is learned that Pakistan is planning to host Ireland for a full series by 2020 and Ireland chief executive said “we are very amenable to an invitation”.
Deutrom told AFP, “We haven't received an official invitation. The chairman of the Pakistan Board was here. I haven't had a complete debrief with our chairman yet to see whether or not those conversations took place but I wouldn't even say those conversations even started here.”
He added, “For months, years, we've actually said to Pakistan, when you think it's right, safe to invite us, when you want to, economically or commercially, we are very amenable to an invitation.”
CI chief executive signed off by saying, “When you send an invitation we presume it's because you perceive it to be safe enough for us to receive the invitation and then when you give us all the security arrangements around that we will look at that seriously, share them with our players, government, insurers and if all the stars align, we'd be happy to come.”