The former legendary Australian pace bowler Glenn McGrath thinks that Australian selectors should only allow Mitchell Starc into the fifth test at Sydney only if he is fully improved from his heel injury. McGrath has also highlighted that the team management should approach a positive approach ahead of the tour against South Africa in March this year.
Mitchell Starc was out from the fourth test match at Melbourne but is likely to make a return in the last Ashes test which is scheduled to start on 4th of January, Thursday. Australia has already won Ashes 2017-18 3-0.
This is the sixth time in seven seasons Mitchell Starc has missed an iconic Boxing Day test match. However, he did bowl some deliveries at a training session in SCG with no signs of pain.
“You’d love Mitchell Starc to be playing, there’s no doubt about it,” McGrath was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au on Tuesday. “Someone who bowls at that pace, attacking lengths that he bowls and swings the ball. You want him playing every game possible, especially at his home ground here. But with a big tour of South Africa coming up … if he’s 100 percent fit I’d play him. If he’s not quite there, unfortunately (they) might have to let him have a rest and have him ready for South Africa,” said McGrath.
His fellow pace bowler Pat Cummins also feels he is going to show up for the fifth test at Sydney with no injuries. Pat Cummins said “I haven’t spoken to him but it looked like he was bowling quick, running around and wasn’t limping,” Cummins said. “I know he’s really keen to play and he’s pretty confident he’s going to play. Now it’s seeing how it recovers. He said it’s got better the last week or two since Perth. So hopefully he gets through today and he’s alright,” he further added.
Australia will tour to South Africa for a four test series that is starting from March 1. The first match will take place in Kingsmead. preceding their 5 matches ODI series against England followed by a triangular series involving New Zealand too.