Virat Kohli's 140 runs off just 107 balls and his 246 runs partnership with Rohit Sharma (152*) helped India to register a convincing win against West Indies in the first ODI at Guwahati.
It was Kohli's first ODI after more three months and he came to bat when India had lost Shikhar Dhawan in the second over of their innings and were in little bit trouble but Virat Kohli looked set from the first ball he faced and went to smash West Indies' bowlers all over the park and brought up his 36th ODI ton in just 88 balls and eventually he finished with 140 runs and helped his team to take a 1-0 lead in the five ODIs series.
List of the records set by Virat Kohli during his 140 runs knock against West Indies in the first ODI at Guwahati -
4 - When on 42, Virat Kohli completed 2000 international runs across formats in 2018 - The first captain and overall fourth player to score 2000 international runs across formats in three consecutive years.
Players to score 2000 plus runs across formats in three consecutive years -
Sachin Tendulkar - 1996, 1997 & 1998
Matthew Hayden - 2002, 2003 & 2004
Joe Root - 2015, 2016 & 2017
Virat Kohli - 2016, 2017 & 2018
Virat Kohli scored 2595 runs in 2016, 2818 in 2017 and has scored 2098 runs in 2018 so far.
Players scoring 2000 plus international runs in a calendar year most times -
6 - Kumar Sangakkara
5 - Virat Kohli
5 - Sachin Tendulkar
5 - Mahela Jayawardene
14 - Virat Kohli scored his 14th ODI hundred as captain - the second most by any captain in the world.
Most ODI hundreds as captain -
22 - Ricky Ponting (220 innings)
14 - Virat Kohli (50 innings)
13 - AB de Villiers (98 innings)
11 - Sourav Ganguly (143 innings)
10 - Sanath Jayasuriya (118 innings)
Virat Kohli 140 runs off 107 balls
- His 36th ODI hundred of career (second most in the world).
- 22nd ODI hundred while chasing (most by any player).
- 15th ODI hundred at home.
- 14th ODI hundred as captain (second most).
- 5th ODI hundred against West Indies (most for India against West Indies).
- 4th ODI hundred in 2018.
246 - Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli added 246 runs for the second wicket and set the following records -
- Highest partnership for any wicket for India while chasing. The previous highest was 224 runs between Virat Kohli and Gautam Gambhir for the third wicket against Sri Lanka at Kolkata back in 2009.
- Highest partnership for India against West Indies for any wicket. The previous highest was 196 runs between Sourav Ganguly and Virender Sehwag for the first wicket at Rajkot back in 2002.
- Second highest second wicket partnership while chasing. The highest is 252* runs between Shane Watson and Ricky Ponting against England at Centurion in ICC Champions Trophy 2009.