India's tour of England began with a 3 match T20I series earlier this month and team India started their tour on a winning note as they defeated the hosts England by 2-1 in T20I series but couldn't perform up to their levels in the ODI series and lost the last two ODIs as well as series by 2-1.
Now both the teams will face each other in a 5-Test match series that starts from 1 August at Edgbaston, Birmingham. Bowling has always been India's Achilles heel away from home in Test cricket and that is one of the main reasons why India haven't won a Test series in big countries like Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand in last 10 years despite having a strong batting line up. And to win a 5-Test match series in England Indian bowlers have to step up more than the batsmen.
Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Mohammad Shami, R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar (if fit) will be India's bowling unit for the 5 Test match series against England.
Here is a look at current Indian bowlers' record away from home in Test cricket :
1. Overall Test bowling records away from home -
- Ishant Sharma (153) and Mohammad Amir (107) are the only two Asian fast bowlers who have taken more than 100 Test wickets away from home in last 10 years.
2. Bowling records in England -
- Only Mohammad Amir (25.55) had a better bowling average in England in Test cricket than Bhuvneshwar Kumar (26.63) in last 10 years among Asian bowlers. (Min 15 wickets)
3. Bowling records in Australia -
- Mohammad Shami's bowling average of 35.80 is the second best bowling average by any Asian fast bowler in Australia in last 10 years after Mohammad Asif (28.46). (Min 10 wickets)
4. Bowling records in South Africa -
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar (20.3) and Mohammad Shami (24.71) are the only two Asian fast bowlers who average less than 25 in South Africa in Test cricket in last 10 years.
5. Bowling records in New Zealand -
- Ishant Sharma has taken more five wickets haul (2) than any other Asian bowler in New Zealand in Tests since his debut.