England thrashed India by 86 runs in the second ODI match at Lord's and leveled the 3 match ODI series with 1-1. England after opting to bat first posted a good total of 322/7. Joe Root played an awesome knock of 113 runs, captain Morgan (53) and David Willey (50*) also scored fifties.
In response India started well as openers added 49 runs for the first wicket in just 8 overs but then lost 3 wickets in the space of 16 balls and reduced to 60/3, captain Virat Kohli (45) and Suresh Raina (46) tried to pull things back but after their dismissals India completely lost the track and got all out for 236 runs on the last ball of innings. Liam Plunkett took 4 wickets for England and Joe Root was named Man of the Match for his glorious hundred (113).
All the key stats and facts from the second ODI match between England and India at Lord's :
12 - Joe Root equaled Marcus Trescothick's tally of 12 hundreds and became joint all-time leading century maker for England in ODI cricket.
Most ODIs hundreds for England :
Joe Root / Marcus Trescothick - 12
Eoin Morgan - 10
Kevin Pietersen - 9
Graham Gooch - 8
David Gower - 7
86 - England's 86 runs win is their 4th biggest win against India in terms of runs in ODI cricket.
Biggest wins for England against India in ODIs (By runs) :
202 at Lord's, 1975
114 at The Oval, 1982
104 at Rosebowl, 2007
86 at Lord's, 2018
300 - MS Dhoni became the 4th wicketkeeper to take 300 or more catches in ODI cricket after Adam Gilchrist (417), Mark Boucher (403) and Kumar Sangakkara (383).
1041 - Runs scored by Virat Kohli against England in ODIs. He became the 7th Indian player to score 1000 runs in ODIs against England.
10000 runs for MS Dhoni in ODI cricket :
- 4th Indian player to score 10000 ODIs runs after Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, and Rahul Dravid.
- 3rd oldest (37y & 7d) player to achieve this feat after Tillakaratne Dilshan (38y & 285d) and Brian Lara (37y & 228d).
- 5th quickest (273 innings) to reach 10000 ODI runs.
- 2nd wicket keeper batsman to score 10000 ODI runs after Kumar Sangakkara (13341).
- Dhoni faced 11321 balls to complete 10000 ODI runs. Second quickest in terms of balls faced to achieve this milestone after Sanath Jayasuriya (11296).